Monday, May 21, 2007

Don't Worry, Be Fruitful?

For those of you that know me, you understand that I'm typically a worrier. I tend to minimize most other people's problems while extrapolating mine out to the worst case scenario. I try my best not to worry, the Bible is pretty clear about not worrying about tomorrow and focusing on today, but I have found in my own personal life that this is a concept that is often spoken of, and rarely put into practice. The war against worry is one that I fight every day in my mind, and I'll bet that at least some of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

But my worry doesn't really affect my spiritual effectiveness as a believer, right?
Listen to these few verses from Jesus' parable regarding the four soils found in Matthew 13.

Matthew 13:7, 22-23

... Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants... The one who received the seed that fell among thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty, or thirty times what was sown.

I know that worry in my life can cause trouble. I know that it can hurt relationships, give me ulcers, and be just an overall pain, but I never even realized that my worry could hinder me from bearing fruit for the kingdom of God.

We all have our thorns and weeds. For some of us it may be money. How are we going to pay the bills. For others the weeds are health related. For others, you may ask the question "Do I have what it takes," and fear that the answer is no. We all have thorns and weeds that Satan sows amongst us in his desire to choke out the hope that we can find in Jesus Christ.

This week, make a concerted effort to lay aside your worry, and allow Christ to bear much fruit in your life.

No comments: