Monday, June 11, 2007

Deep Theology

Living in a seminary town, there is much talk and debate about "deep theology." Resident theologians (and wannabe theologians) take much pleasure in exegeting the original Greek and Hebrew texts pulling out as much theology from the original wording as possible. As a result, numerous Bible Studies have sprouted up at scores of churches around the area promising "deep" Bible lessons.

But what is "deep" theology? A few days ago I came across a passage of scripture that reminded me of something I once heard Andy Stanley, the pastor of Northpoint Community Church, say.

Luke 6:27-33

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that.

Everyone has their nemesis. The one person in school or at work that simply rubbed you the wrong way. They seemed like (or actually were) out to get you. To trip you up; make you stumble; watch you fail. I have tried long and hard to remember the name of one of my nemesises, but it has been so many years that his name escapes me... but make no mistake about it, I remember the boys face. I was in the fourth grade at South Christian Elementary School in rural southwestern Kentucky. He was in the fifth grade, and he had a rat tail cut into the back of his hair. As clearly as I remember much more monumental days in my life like my wedding day and the day my child was born, I remember the day that he walked into the cafeteria at South Christian. My girlfriend, Kasey, was sitting next to me, and we were at the table that was inhabited by the "cool" people at the school (consequently, it was one of the few times in my life I got to sit at the "cool" table in the lunchroom, I was on top of the world!). I remember him walking in and getting in line to go get his lunch. I made an offhand comment in order to appear more cool than I was that his rat-tail looked stupid, when to my horror Kasey responded, "I think it's kind of cute." Immediately I was filled with rage. How could Kasey think that kind of hair cut was cute; How could I grow a 'rat tail' by tomorrow; How dare this kid come into my school and be 'cute.' I couldn't get his punk face out of my head all day.

The next week proved to be fatal to my on-again-off-again fourth grade relationship with Kasey. I confronted the kid on the playground for stealing my girlfriend. Since he was a whole 3 heads taller than me I of course brought with me my friend Victor, who had a gigantic heart and an even bigger body (he had been held back a couple of times in grade school). I couldn't stand the rat-tail boy. He had come into my school, and stolen my girlfriend, and ruined my fourth-grade life. He had it out for me and I knew it. I could see it on his smug little face.

You all have these people in your life, don't you? People who are always just a little bit better than you? Just a tad more successful. Just a little bit better at racquetball. Just a little bit better looking. People who always seem to get the good breaks. People that you really don't even like to look at because of how they make you feel inside. You wouldn't ever say it, because your a God-fearing Christian, but you've thought it a million times.... "I.... HATE.... that person!"

You don't really hate them, you hate the way they make you feel. Honestly, you really have a big time problem with God because he didn't "bless" you in the ways that He blessed that other person, but that's another blog.

The point is that we all have people in our lives that we don't really like to be around. We even have people in our lives who genuinely have it out to get us. They hate us and they want to see us fail and will stop at nothing to make sure that we do. It is a dog-eat-dog world and sometimes we are wearing MilkBone shorts.

So how do you react to these people?

The Bible says that we are to love them. Pray for them. Do good to them. Bless them. Forgive them. Give to them, sacrificially. Treat them well.

We are to do it, because we serve a God that did all of that for us. While we cursed Him, He forgave for us. While we spat at Him, He prayed for us. While we cried "crucify Him!" He died for us.

Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Once we get that one figured out, come back and talk to me. We'll discuss some more "deep" theology.

No comments: