Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Do The Right Thing

This morning I came into my office and shut the door. I hoped, that since it was a short week, that I could get some much needed studying done. I needed to prepare for my History of Christianity talk that I would give tonight as well as sermons for Sunday morning and Sunday night.

That is when the fire drills began.

Fire drills are things that are necessary, but unplanned in your day. The biggest needs came in the form of three requests for help from our benevolence fund, which is set up to help families in need. I must admit, I had a really bad attitude about having to take up my precious study time to handle these situations. In fact, I was really sour and frankly unChristian with regard to the needs. Nonetheless I handled the situations and returned to my office. I then prayed that God would help me settle down, and that he would speak to me through His Word. I then opened up my Bible to the book of Titus where I have been reading for several days. This was the passage I had scheduled for today:

Titus 3:1-8
Remind the people to be subject to their rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate and to show true humility to all men.
At one time, we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

I immediately prayed for forgiveness. I am no better than anyone who walks into my office looking for help. In fact, that is what I'm here, to help the less fortunate. To help those who cannot help themselves, or who cannot see yet how they can help themselves. My job is to buy food and gas and clothes for the needy.

And I was reminded today by God's Word, that in actuality, I'm just as needy as they are. The difference is that God has met my biggest need. So let us all devote ourselves to doing what is good. To doing the right thing. In doing so everyone profits.

No comments: