Monday, April 20, 2009

Lung Update #19 - Where Now?

The first pastor that Jeremy was honored to serve under gave a poignant sermon once that Jeremy has quoted in other sermons of his own. Bro. Jack stated that when you are plowing (he was a farmboy) it is very important to continue to look forward. When you look backward, you can sometimes rearrange the alignment of your plow and set your course off making the line crooked and messing up the entire system. We see this in driving to. We tend to turn the wheel where we turn our head. Not exactly the safest thing. This, all to say that where we are at this hour is in a necessary place to focus forward. Jeremy will rise tomorrow and will walk - even more so than today. He will get bathed so he can feel refreshed in body and spirit. He will eat, so his body will get fuel. He will address you, because you need to hear from him. Those are our goals for tomorrow.

I will deviate from Bro. Jack's message a tad though in order to refresh and remind us all exactly where we have come from and from what we have been restored. As jolting as the news was this morning about inserting another tube, God has been SO GOOD. We waited on the nursing aide to come get Jeremy for his procedure. The doctor told us that it would be before noon. Noon comes and goes and I went and had a talk with God and with Jeremy's mom. Sometimes I have to talk out my plans (I do talk to myself, but I know there is someone listening - so I am not crazy). I went back in the room and got Jeremy up and we proceeded to walk. I told him that we could definitely get some good exercise in before they sedated him and he was out beyond my control. He went willingly. They came soon, thereafter to take him for his procedure and I escaped to the cafeteria to fuel my body and take care of some phone calls.

It took roughly 3 hours for him to get down there, sedation, and procedure. I returned to the room to find him chatting with Martha - one of the NPs on his team. She was coming by to just do a final round and check to see how he was holding up. Surprisingly, he was better than I expected. He was ready to eat. So I confirmed with the nurse as to whether he could eat again and she said yes. So I went back to the cafeteria and got him some roasted chicken, mac-n-cheese, and corn. I know, carbolicious, but it's food and he ate. Here is why he ate - I looked at him and informed him that an army was on their knees for him - people that we don't even know are praying for us and by golly, if they are going to consider us worthy enough to spend their precious time conversing with the Lord on our behalf, he was going to eat and he was going to fight. People, he ate that entire chicken, 1/2 the mac-n-cheese, an entire roll, and a full glass of sprite. He DID IT! You DID IT! Thank you so much. Thank you so much. I am crying right now, probably out of emotional exhaustion, but mostly out of joy because God came through SO HUGE TODAY.

Not only did Jeremy eat, he then went with me (with 3 CHEST TUBES) for a walk around the entire 3rd floor. We usually just lap our unit, but today he went all the way to the other waiting room near ICU and I showed him where Emma played while we waited on him. It was so good for him. He did so well! He then sat back down in the bed and we watched a movie together and he ate a small bowl of ice cream. He kept it all down. I am telling you, this is leaps and bounds. The doctor came by and checked his tubes and confirmed that they definitely made the right decision. The new tube began draining immediately and the repositioned one is draining massive amounts out so that his lungs can now inflate properly. Continue to pray that they drain and that his lungs expand to full capacity. Dr. Kemp doesn't feel like they will do anything tomorrow except continue to let them drain. I asked him if one appeared to be complete or no longer draining after a full night of measuring, would they pull it. He said, yes. PRAY PRAY PRAY!

Dr. Kemp also said that Jeremy would most likely have a fever because he had another incision placed in him with the 3rd chest tube and that is common with a surgical procedure. When I left, Jeremy's temperature was the lowest it has been since we have been here. YOU DID IT! You called upon God to be big, AND HE HEARD YOU! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I know that some of you have entered into a specific prayer pattern, and let me just tell you, I am choking to death because of the emotion that overwhelms me that you would consider us worthy of your time. When the question "why?" comes to mind in my spirit, it isn't, nor has it ever been, "why are we enduring this?" I know the answer to that. I constantly ask myself and God, "why do these people love us as they do? we are no greater than any other of His creation, and yet you sacrifice your time and energy to physically carry us through this journey. I stand amazed. And yes, I am still standing. I will continue to stand until we cross the finish line. That is what I am called to do. Just pray me through, that is all you can do. He needs me, and I will be here.

Now, prayer from here: Pray that Jeremy remains fever free for the remainder of our stay. You got us through the 24 hour hump, now get us through the duration of this process, however long it may be. Pray for Jeremy's strength and stamina. It is already increased because of your faithfulness. Pray for the hiccups to stay away. PRAISE GOD THAT HE DID NOT HAVE THEM ALL DAY LONG! I cannot believe it. ALL DAY LONG! Continue to pray for that. Pray for the nausea to continue to stay at bay despite all the meds. Pray for longer walks and great chats. Pray for tube #1 to be removed tomorrow. They are labeled 1,2,3 and #1 is currently receiving the least amount of output. It should go first. Pray for my girls. They have been in good hands all along, and I am not concerned about their safety or well being. Just pray that when they see their Daddy in the up and coming days, they greet him in a way that comforts his spirit and lets him know they loved and missed him. They could greet me that way too, and I would be elated, but most importantly he needs that to continue with his healing. Praise God for the sick bank at work that is assisting me during this time and causing Jeremy one less worry. Praise God for subs who are willing. Pray for my students to be good so I don't have to come back as mean old nasty Mrs. Powell, but rather, I missed you so Mrs. Powell. :)

The CGD email will follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 40:28-31
May you both soar on eagles wings as your strength is renewed. I'm honored to call you my pastor and pastor helpmate. May God give you both an eagle day. Keep a H.H.
Love to my friends- Judy Mc