Wednesday, March 05, 2014

3 Things I Learn from Moses about Leadership-- Part 1: Fair Ended in the Garden of Eden

So I consider myself a leader.  Every day I wake up and bear the leadership burden for my family and congregation.  Now I may not be the best leader.... but none the less, more often than not in my life, I've found myself in positions where I have to lead.

That having been said, I take a lot of time reading leadership books-- books written by Christian leaders (including some authors that I disagree with), and secular leaders (as all truth is God's truth).  Additionally, the pages of scripture are filled with accounts from real-life leaders who experienced success, failure, heartache, and depression.

This week, I've been thinking an awful lot about Moses-- in particular, the end of Moses' life as recorded in Deuteronomy 34.  Here are some things that this text teaches us about leadership

1) Leaders are held to a higher standard.  It isn't fair, but it's true

Deuteronomy 34:1-4
Then Moses went up form the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho.  And the Lord showed him all the land, Gilead as far as Dan, all Naphtali, the land of Ephraim and Manasseh, all the land of Judah as far as the Western Sea, the Negeb, and the plain, that is the valley of Jericho the city of palm treas as far as Zoar.  And the Lord said to him, This is the land of which I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob,  'I will give to your offspring.'  I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not go over there.

Why wouldn't God let Moses enter the promised land?  Deuteronomy 32:51 tells us why... "because you broke faith with me in the midst of the people of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin, and because you didn't treat me as holy in the midst of the people of Israel.

What God is referencing here is an event that is recorded in Numbers 20.  The people of Israel were thirsty and they began to grumble again.  God told Moses to speak to a rock and cause it to yield its water, but instead Moses strikes the rock twice with his staff.  Because he disobeyed God, Moses was not allowed to enter the promised land.

Really?

It seems to me like this is cruel and unusual punishment.  You wanna talk about rebellion?  About a disregard for God?  Look no further than the people of Israel.  How many "Back to Egypt" committees have been formed?  How many golden calves have been made?  How many times have God's people openly refused to trust in Him and His provision or find contentment in his provision while wandering in the wilderness?
Yet Moses, in a moment of weakness, probably filled with frustration because of the hardness of Israel's heart-- taunted by shouts and requests and threats and grumbling, makes a mistake and disobeys.
And he isn't allowed to finish the task that God had called him to do.

Wow.

I picture Moses sitting at a press conference table making a statement like, "Water! We're talking about water?  Not idolatry!  Water?" (vague Allen Iverson reference that was much funnier in my head)
Moses even pleads with God to change his mind (Deut. 3:24-25); but God-- much like a determined parent-- ends the conversation quickly.

A great Christian leader and pastor once said, "Leadership is a stewardship... you're accountable," and like it or not we are held to a higher standard.  It isn't fair... but it is.

Often my daughters will find themselves in particular circumstances that would be deemed unfair by any court or parent in the world.  Abbi gets to have a friend spend the night, but Emma can't.  Emma gets to go on a field trip, but Abbi can't go.  One gets invited to a birthday party at a local pool and the other one has to stay home.  These are good teachable moments for my girls.  Life isn't fair.  God isn't fair.  Fair ended in the Garden of Eden.

And as leaders we are held accountable for how we lead.  For the example we set for our people.

And I don't think I would have it any other way.  To lead the way that Jesus led we must do so by example, and we are not above repercussions that occur because of our sinfulness.

This is the burden of leadership.  It is what we take upon ourselves when we take the staff of God and accept His call on our lives.

It isn't fair... but it is.

--Jeremy




No comments: