Monday, April 30, 2007

A Friend Closer than a Brother

If your family falls into the national average, then you grew up with brothers and sisters. I didn't have that privilege (or curse, depending on your point of view). I grew up as an only child without siblings to fight with, rely on, connive with, play with, and help.

As I've watched siblings over the years of my life I've noticed that although they may fight with each other and overall annoy one another, when push comes to shove, your brother has always got your back. They will be there to beat up the bad guy, to defend your honor, to bail you out of jail (hope this one never happens), or to do whatever you need. When the rubber hits the road, your family, and blood is... in fact... thicker than water.

But as I mentioned, I never had any siblings. But that doesn't mean that I haven't experienced that same kind of love.

Proverbs 18:24

A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Now, as a believer in Christ, I realize that ultimately Jesus calls me his friend, and that he will always stick by me and carry me through any tough situation. But I have realized this type of friendship here on earth, and I'm eternally grateful to God for allowing me to experience the type of sacrificial love, if only for a little while.

This last Friday, my wife drove me (without telling me where we were going) up to the airport. Why? Because my friend Phillip had heard me on the phone just a few nights earlier. He knew that I was down, and although he didn't know what he could do for me, he did all he knew to do... he came to see me. We didn't do anything spectacular or earth shattering over the weekend, but the message from Phil was loud and clear. He loves me with a love that sticks him closer to me than any brother I could ever have. He is willing to sacrifice money, time, work, anything for me. He would walk through fire if I needed him to, and I would do the same for him. I have been blessed with many friends like this over my 30 years on this earth. Some of us have grown distant over time due to geographical separation, while others have just entered into this brotherhood with me in recent years. So to Phillip, Clay, Zack, and the countless others who right now are willing to do whatever Jodi and I need; to Duncan, Jeff, Ryan and Billy who have carried the burden before; to my family: Mom, Dad, Jason, Richard, Mom-mom, Grandpa, and thousands more across the country and abroad; to those who are praying for me, lifting me up, and carrying my burdens: I only hope that one day I can show you the same amount of love that you have shown, and continue to show to me.

If you have friends like this, then you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, then boy are you missing out.

I love you guys (and I mean that in the most heterosexual way that I can!)

No comments: