Monday, May 14, 2007

Letting the Church be the Church

Acts 4:32-35

All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.

One of my friends shared with me one time a truth about the Church that has stuck with me. He said that if you don't let the Church rally around you when you are struggling, then you are not allowing the Church do what it is supposed to do. You are not letting the Church be the Church.

For years now, I have used this truth to comfort church members as they struggled with asking the church for help. But, when the shoe is on the other foot, it is amazing how quickly one can forget to apply this truth to your own life.

I have a fungal infection in my back that will likely require surgery or gene therapy or both. The first floor of my house flooded barely a week ago and we are now faced with the daunting task of repairing our home so we can live in it. My wife is pregnant with our second child and is due in November. In other words, there is a lot going on right now in my house. Then, just like I had said time after time to a number of church members and friends, the Church at Meadowridge, began being the Church to the Powell family.

Money, Shop Vacs, Babysitting, Beds, Cleaning services, Plumbing, Lawn care, you name it and my church provided above and beyond what I deserved. I struggled at first (and still struggle at times). I know that these people aren't the most secure financially. I know that the budget at Meadowridge hasn't been reached in quite some time. I know that getting people to tithe is difficult. But when a crisis arises, and one of its members is threatened, they ALWAYS seem to rise to the occasion.

The straw that broke the Powell family happened yesterday when I walked in on my wife crying in my office chair. She was holding a note from the children's ministry at our church. They had taken up a love offering for Jodi and I during their children's worship service. It was $4.32. Please check out Jodi's reaction at her blog here.

There comes a time in everyones life when they need a little help, and there comes a time in everyones life when you need to step up and give some assistance. If you aren't willing to accept the help of others, or give help when called upon, then you're not letting the Church be the Church.

I know its hard, but let the Church be the Church. The world can be changed because of it.

No comments: