Tuesday, April 07, 2009

There's just something about this week

I just came back to my office from our sanctuary where I was preparing the room for our Holy Week services when it dawned on me.

I haven't really come to a realization of what week this is.

You see, in my life, more so than Christmas, and even more so than Thanksgiving (although I love some Turkey and Dressing!), there is no greater week than the week leading up to Easter.

You see, at Christmas we celebrate the birth of Jesus. This week, we celebrate what he came to do.

And as I thought through the events of Holy Week, not much is known about what happened on Tuesday, but I would love to remind you of a story that happened on Monday.

Mark 11:15-17
On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written, my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations"? But you have made it "a den of robbers."

What a unique and amazing picture of our Lord. On the week that he would die, he would symbolically cleanse the temple. Why? His house will be a house of prayer for the NATIONS. All people, gentiles and Jews alike, can find salvation at the feet of Jesus.

This story makes me smile. I hope that you can take some time this week to remember what Jesus has done for you.

No comments: