Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'm really tired of being in the hospital

It has become a habit of mine to admit my faults to the congregation at FBCH. Today will be no different. I'm a control freak. I like to be in control of what is going on. I like to affect my circumstances and my life. Here in the hospital, I cannot do that, and it is killing me. I was just sharing with my mother, who came into visit me today in Jodi's absence that I have asked the doctors what I can do, more than any other question since I've been here. Currently, there is nothing I can do. God has to do it. That is hard for me. It is a struggle for me. I don't like not being in control.

And so here is the latest on me. The enzymes that denote pancreatitis are still high and in fact rising. Currently they are around 1500, which is twice as high as they should be. To make matters worse there is no really a good explanation as to why they are elevated. The Doctors are convinced that it is medically induced and that as a result of surgery the numbers are high. So currently I am what the medical community calls NPO, which to us lay people means I cannot eat... anything. I'm receiving nourishment through an IV, which is about as much fun as having my head stapled to the floor. My stomach growls and I cannot put anything in it. They are treating my pancreatitis by resting my digestive system and giving me steroiods. Pray that tomorrow the numbers will be lower, as they have steadily increased for the last three days.

In addition to the high levels of pancreatic enzymes there remains a hole in my thoracic cavity. I spoke with my Mom-mom today and shared with her about the hole in my lung. She asked, "Why is there a hole in your lung?" I told her, "because there used to be a big piece of fungus that they had removed, and now the space needs to be filled up with lung tissue, scar tissue, or diaphram." For some reason, my body isn't responding as quickly as the surgeons would hope.

Add these two complications together, and it means a longer hospital stay for me. Here is the latest: On Monday they will take a CT scan of my lungs. If the space has closed up (this needs to be your prayer), then they will pull the remaining chest tube, and I will be one step closer to coming home. If, however, the space in my lungs has not filled up, then they will consider performing an additional surgery to move the lung into place. This is the worst of the options awaiting my Monday scan. Please pray that surgery will not need to be an option.

As far as my pancreatic enzymes, they are doing blood work every day, and we are praying that the numbers will decrease beginning tomorrow. The good news is that I am asymptomatic with regard to my pancreatitis which means there is no nausea, vomiting, pain, or fever.

Jodi shared with me that there were some 50 women who met today at the church in order to approach the throne of God on my behalf. I'm humbled by how much you all love me and care for me. It is amazing to see a church that get "it." Please keep praying. Pray for the enzymes to return to normal. Pray for the spot to completely go away on Monday. Pray that I can come home soon. I miss my girls badly. I miss my wife (although she has only been gone 12 hours), and I miss my church. I cannot wait to see you all again.

I believe I am going to get to speak with you tomorrow via the wonderful world of the Internet. I will be praying for you all and your services as you praise God for His goodness. It is my goal to attend worship in the chapel here at the NIH. God bless you, and good night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy. Just read your blog for today. You have been through so much and you have been an overcomer so keep holding on to the hope you have knowing your Father will see you through this struggle and is abiding with you and will forevermore be your strength. Praying for your healing and that you will soon be able to go home. Tell Cindy hello.
Aunt Peggy & Uncle Joe

BETH said...

You have such faith. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Thank you for being you. BETH

Anonymous said...

Jeremy Powell,
How we miss you! How we love you and your wonderful family! How we are praying (non-stop) for you. You are "tough" you can beat this thing, don't give up, stay strong, keep the faith, get well and come back to us.
You are a control freak, I know, but sometimes we just have to step back and let God do His thing, His way and in His time. I'm one to tell you that, when I can't do it myself, but with all the prayers that are being prayed for you, you will overcome and come out the victor. God Bess you, have a gooood night and tomorrow will be brighter.
Can't wait to see you!
Jim & Brenda

Anonymous said...

So glad you shared on the blog. I understand about the control thing. Waiting is so hard for ALL of us. I am excited that you will be speaking with us tomorrow. Jeremy, we are all praying for you continuously that God will touch and heal. He will answer. I believe that you will be back home soon. Take care and rest well tonight! Jackie Russell

Jodi Powell said...

Let not their prayers be utter in vain, but press on toward the goal and honor the sacrifice of your fellow saints. Release the control for them, if for no other reason. Release the control so you can come home to the girls. You may not know how, but if you tell Him you don't, He will show you. Love, me

Anonymous said...

Jeremy-my prayers are still with you. Our prayer chain keeps you lifted daily. Praying for all the best. Kathryn Moore Hicks

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeremy my friend- Your physical body may not be here but you affect every movement of this church. Be not dismayed. I thank my God for the day you came to FBCH. I'm praying good health to you this very moment. Thank you for showing me how to live. Your and Jodi's faith and trust in God has changed my life. The way you allow God to lead your life and the wisdom you have amazes me. You are my hero. May God give you a beautiful refreshing today!
Love you- Judy Mc (H.H.)

Anonymous said...

Suzy and I are praying in faith for your recovery. I know you want to be home as soon as possible - your church and family want that as well, but they want you to be well. Sometimes it seems like God's plan is on "slow crawl" when we're ready for "fast sprint." Don't try to outrun God. There may be hidden blessings in all of this. Look at the mighty prayer warriors God is raising up!
His mercies are new every morning! I'm praying that today would be a time for fresh annointing from the Holy Spirit - May your strength be renewed on eagle's wings. May you run and not grow weary, walk and not faint. I hope today God allows you to see "light at the end of the tunnel." Be strong in the faith!
Your Brother in Christ,
Richard Metts