Monday, April 27, 2009

Just a little more info

Jodi, as always, has done a wonderful job of filling you in on my current status. There are only a few things to add:

First of all, a big praise out to God, although I still have one chest tube clinging from my side, they have shortened the tube considerably and have detached me from the big bulky chest tube container that we had to carry around everywhere. Instead they have attached the tube to a smaller container which will collect the ever diminishing fluid that drains from my lung. Why is this a praise you ask? For the first time in two weeks I was allowed to take a shower. It was hot, and probably a bit too long. It is funny how the little things make you feel so much better.

As Jodi mentioned, tomorrow they will place a smaller tube in place of the larger one in my lung. That tube will be with me for 4-6 weeks, but, just like my Picc line many of you will never see it.

Secondly, thank you thank you thank you for being a church that understands what the church is supposed to do. So many of you have fasted and prayed and cried tears. Thank you. You all totally rock!

Lastly, continue to pray. Right now the limiting factor for me going home is my pancreatic enzymes. The two enzymes in question are called Amalase and Lypase. These numbers in normal human beings without pancreatitis run <100 and around 400 (don't bother me with units, I don't know, I'm not a doctor). In my blood cultures, they are running 400 and 1700 respectively. I spoke with the Dr today and asked if I could still be released with high enzyme numbers since I am not exhibiting any other symptoms. In short, he said that if he saw a trend in decreasing numbers then he would consider it. They need to put me on a regular diet before they feel comfortable releasing me to go home. Pray those numbers will come down. Pray that they will see a trend. Pray that they will send me home.

I love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa!!! This is more than baby steps. Praise God for this improvement and I pray it will continue "swoofly" and you will be totally healthy soon. Your poem was SO creative someone will help you set it to music. Your many talents continue to impress me. Many in B'ham are praying for you especilly a couple of retired missionaries and teach at Samford. Vera

Anonymous said...

What a difference a day can make - especially in an emotional range! It was great to see you on the big screen yesterday and to hear your voice. We were all very excited, excpet now my children are telling everyone how you are in the hospital on TV (think soap opera)! Have a great afternoon.
Durhan Family